Saturday, April 11, 2009

Taking on more than I can chew...

I spent the day at a full day choir rehearsal from 9am to 5pm. Afterwards I drove down to the beach to enjoy the first and last hours of sunlight I've had available to enjoy all weekend. I didn't even have strength to read. I instead sat in a chair with my eyes closed till the sun started to set. An hour of the sound of the ocean helped melt away all of the sounds that had filled my head during the full day of rehearsals. I had developed a slight headache by the time I returned home to find my roommates blasting music in the living room. I laid in bed massaging my temples and wondering whether to ask them to turn it down, or leave the house to find some peace elsewhere.

This year's Merry Monarch Hula festival has brought rain to the islands, and only a few hours of sunlight were present today - most of them squandered on indoor activities. It is said that the curse of rain accompanies the festival because sacred flowers are picked in abundance to adorn the hula dancers, and that this bears with it the consequence of heavenly lamentation for the flowers. The rains come consistently on the day of the festival and have for years.

This weekend is the last weekend before finals and before I take off for Oahu. I find myself with only Sunday to study. Choir demands a lot of my time, and given that we had a whole day rehearsal today, it also demanded I cook for potluck dinner. I will also be cooking again tomorrow for my full clinic day in Kona on Monday. I have very little energy to study, so I'm putting faith that the tests will work well in my favor despite this.

I find myself with very little time on my hands to spare. Between classes, choir and clinic, my hours are fully allocated. With the new trimester I am also taking a class which meets once a month for a full day on a Sunday, and I'm also starting 9-6pm weekly clinic observation responsibilities at school on Saturdays. This will leave only Fridays and the occasional Sunday and Monday available for study.

Coupled with starting the new coordination effort on a new website, I feel like I am already stretching myself extremely thin, and choir practice will eat several hours a week out of my events. I am hopeful but not confident that I will find some way to swim with all of these responsibilities and still get all of my school work accomplished.

On top of this, I am having to consider getting a job of some kind in the next couple of months because recent tax expenses have severely cut into my remaining savings. I have several people willing to help me out with finding work, but the thought of adding a job to my already full list seems very daunting. I think that I will have to give up my choir participation after this concert season is over if I am to find time to take care of all of the responsibilities I've taken on.

I may have to cut back on clinic hours to earn a living. This is all speculation right now, but what I need most is some rest. Next week brings with it a thankful end to this trimester, and solutions to these things will come.

2 comments:

Rajmund Dabrowski said...

As for us - yesterday we spotted two small deer in the woods outside our windows, and appropriately for Easter, Mom spotted a bunny rabbit, as well. The trees are giving birth to green shoots and all the cherry trees are in full bloom.

Looks like we are slowly finding out the reasons for your communication absence. You have a lot to look after. We are glad you are going away for a few days to Oahu. We wish we could do a similar thing, given a rather poor and cold weather here. At least it will be sunny today.

This week I will be off to California for some meetings and the next edition of SonScreen Film Festival in Simi Valley. Following that, I will be at a NAB convention in Vegas. I am looking forward to some warmth, too.

Meanwhile, we are sending you our love.

Suzy said...

My, my, you've got quite the schedule now! I'm certainly glad you're getting a week in Oahu for a breather. :)

meep!