Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Immersion into a new World

My morning started off with packing my car with most of my belongings save for one suitcase. I wanted to move most of my stuff to my new home today as I was to meet with my landlady for a walkthrough of the house. I drove to Waimea, picked up my mail (several huge tomes which I surveyed in abject horror), visited the library to change my Biology final proctor time for Thursday afternoon, and drove to my new home.

With two more keys on my keychain - my pockets are regaining their familiar weight, bulk, and consistency. I feel better.

My New Classmates...

I met a fellow new student and her boyfriend today at Huli Sue's in Waimea for dinner. He's a professional chef, and she a Massage therapist and Reiki practitioner. They met each other while working on a cruise ship several years ago. They live in a house of former and current TCMCH students. Her husband and I were geeking out on our love of Anime, and she and I discussed our plans for what to do with our degrees. She'd like to work with the terminally ill - those dying of cancer and AIDS. She mentioned hearing someone say in her Massage class - "Just when they are in the most severe need of healing - noone wants to touch them". This awoke a passion in her for wanting to be of service for some organization such as Doctors without Borders. As an acupuncturist, you're equipped with a very light and reusable set of tools - especially if the needles are made of silver or gold, as they can be easily disinfected, thus making your toolkit light and reusable.

He spoke of how he was immediately accosted by his new roommates when he came down with bronchitis - with pulse reading, acupuncture and cupping. Its great that they have such a rich support network where they live. We exchanged laughs and jokes about many topics - including the lady who owns the crystal shop in Honoka'a - stories of whom will have to be reserved for another time.

He excused himself during dinner as he had to go to a job interview. Upon his successful returning I was invited to make plans with them for the weekend. Apparently they're going cliff diving. Something which certainly scares both her and I - in which case, we'll have to do it :) We spoke about the possibility of doing some weekend hiking and camping together and our upcoming birthdays. Mine on the 17th of August, and her's on the the 2nd of September.

It was great to meet some new friends.

The West Hawaii Astronomy Club...

Ever since the dawn of man, our race has been fascinated by the splendor of the skies. Before the light and air pollution obscured the wonders of the cosmos - the sky was alit with manifested magic to guide man's travel, decision making, and spiritual contemplation through observation of the night sky. This is one of the most ancient of practices - modernized by the technology our race has created.

Cultures observed the recurring patterns of planetary movements affecting the course of human events on earth. Many arts of divination were formed across all cultures - the planets were the eyes of God watching over the earth. Our bodies are between 50-70% water. If the oceans react by way of tide patterns to the movement of the moon, why not our bodies - let alone the subtle energies evoked by the planets themselves.

These arts and the education they carried splintered into many shards. Pangea separated into today's continents, splitting the 12 tribes of our race and its combined knowledge apart - knowledge that only the advancement of science is beginning to bring back together through global integration.

The adoration of the wonders of the universe was present when I arrived at the West Hawaii Astronomy Club. After brief introductions for new visitors (i.e., me) I gave my brief story about what I have come to Hawaii to do, my interest in learning more about the wonders of the cosmos, and my intention to pursue Acupuncture. I was warmly welcomed by the group.

These individuals are the part of the rich intelligentsia of Hawaii. The club is attended by many scientists, physicists, mathematicians, and hobby astronomers. A few of its members work for, administer, or are in some way responsible for the great arrays atop Mauna Kea. The laughter, joy, and excitement exhibited by the group was palpable. Their fascination with, love, and knowledge of celestial objects and events was bewildering. There is so much to learn on this rock we call home about the universe within which we exist.

The person who invited me is, among other things which I have yet to learn, is an expert in optics and photography - having designed some of the camera technology used in astrophotography.

I way also impressed by the 81 year old retired physicist and mathematician who gave a talk on relativity - a talk which I actively choose not to talk about for sake of appearing completely imbecilic. He brought three books - one of physics used to teach new students, one on astronomy, and the third, a best seller on the subject of physics. He proceeded to utterly refute the stated theories (as taught), demonstrating the true interpretations of special relativity in context of various facets of the behaviors of time, theoretically examined in the context of inter-stellar travel. His sharpness of mind, wit, and mastery of his subject were awe-inspiring to watch - including the amusement of the audience at times.

After receiving advice on how to get started - with a basic set of good binoculars, I placed a note in my calendar for a star gazing party on the 30th where I'll be able to survey the heavens' glory for myself.

No comments: