Sunday, August 10, 2008

Waipio Valley & Old Mamalahoa Hwy



Breathtaking is the only word that can do this valley any justice. Time has forgotten this place. Its valley floor was once richly farmed, with residents as great in number as 10,000 in centuries past. The tsunami originating from the coast of Alaska in 1979 covered the valley from side to side with over 4 feet of water. Many lives and lively-hoods were lost. Nearly all survivors rebuilt their homes top-side. Now there are only about 50 people who live here with no electricity, radio, or cell reception, save for the majesty of the land around them.

The history of this valley is rich and steeped with mystery and cultural significance. There is so much written about this place that I won't attempt to duplicate what I've learned. Instead I'll provide this link to those interested in reading about its enchanted past.

The 900 foot descent into the valley was nothing for Jake. I was so happy I had bought a worthy Jeep - and one whom I grew to admire with bewildered pride at his spryness. Upon the descent I was greeted with the semi-sweet and dry perfume of wild jasmine (my favorite scent) weaving richly along the valley floor - like the seductive and bewildering aroma of an enchantress who's scent lulls you into a spell of bliss while she beckons you to come. "Come deeper... come further... I have turkish delight". Not the same as the call of the Starbucks Siren.



After rounding the bend of the Jasmine Grove of Seduction, I was greeted by a view of Waipio's great Hi'ilawe waterfall. It was as if I were hit in the gut by its astounding majesty. My eyes were filled with tears and my breath was taken away by the majestic free-fall of over 1,200 ft (about the hight of the empire state building.

Touring this place required placing faith in Jake and fording many streams along the valley floor where the taro patch runoffs and the main river weave the veins of this valley's old irrigation system. Some of the water was nearly a foot deep, and I was glad that Jake scoffed and laughed at it with great jest!

I was ill-equipped today to cross the mouth of the river on foot as it enters the sea to get to the other side of the dark sand beech. I was fearful for my camera equipment, and after attempting to ford the river several times at various places, I concluded that I'll need to return with booties. This is a favorite spot for some advanced surfers, and in the winter the seas provide a formidable opponent.

There were many shots throughout the day, including this surfer, which will require I invest in a telescopic lens once I start taking the time to take on professional quality challenges. So far its been great to travel around the island and get familiar with some of the great photographic opportunities. Now that I know a few, I'll be able to come back in the early morning and evening and set up with a tripod for some great shots.



Wonders of Waimea...

I was once again struck by how incredibly lucky I am to have found affordable housing in Waimea. This place is so enchanting that each second of time gives you a different look at reality. I was lucky enough to witness a rainbow, and with my polarizer I was able to detect the full arch.





Waimea will be a great base of photographic operation. Early morning and early evening escapades will provide me with access to the most wondrous vistas including Waipio valley, Old Mamalahoa highway, Saddle Road, and Kohala Mountain Road along the spine to Hawi.

Old Mamalahoa Highway...

Rarely used except by the residents - this highway was the predecessor of the highway that leads from Waimea to Honoka'a and which continues around the island. Galloping horses, and grazing cattle greet you on your way through. It passes through the rich farm land and offers images of rolling hills against a backdrop of Mauna Kea. The asphalt on this road is excellent for Biking. I'm sure that this will be a road I'll be taking often.




A Song from the Universe...

I've been pining for some of my music to listen to while driving. I don't have an iPod hook in the car, nor a tape deck, so I decided to stop for blank CD-Rs in Waikoloa earlier in the day, and made a CD of some of my favorites.

Over the past several days I've been very unhappy with my living situation as I cannot wait to get home to Waimea. I've been worried about my work productivity, as the work is mentally very hard and often headache inspiring leaving me feeling very mentally tapped and always wondering whether I've done enough, while praying that the tap won't run dry, and that I'll be able to regain the context of where I left off with my narrative of the company's business processes to where I can fulfill my obligations. Never have I been in a position with my work that leaves me feeling like a starving artist living from one moment of inspiration to the next. What I am doing requires consistent inspiration and concentration. I really feel that I need it in order to design these concepts. When I cannot concentrate, or when the ideas seem vacant from my head - I feel that don't have what I need to make it happen, and feel very afraid that I'll never have it back fully. While my boss is very understanding, he also needs to see results, and at times I feel that what I'm able to accomplish is nowhere near that which I aspire towards.

My feelings of inadequacy, solitariness, and fear of my ability to pay the bills in the future have been heavy on me. It is so difficult to take my own advise and not worry about such things, and trust :)

Today's full day with gorgeous vistas, friendly locals, and the gift of rainbows and sunsets could not have been any more healing to the worries I'd had. For the day they were all displaced in favor of gratitude for where I am, and for the experiences I get to have here.

Ale Jestem (But, I am)...

Anna Maria Jopek, a Polish artist has a song which have always brought tears to my eyes based on its lyrical and auditory magic. In today's context it felt more real and personal based on what I have been able to accomplish over the past few years, but particularly the past few months.

The Polish lyrics and an English version of the song (not a direct translation, but a rewrite) can be found by following the link. I'm translated the original words as follows:
My eyes open and the world comes into being
Above me - heaven, an orchard in front
with the smell and the taste of green apples
and all is so... simple

You must truly live, if you wish to fool time
You must live most beautifully, as you live only once
You must live in admiration - imagine, love and dream
You must fool time, if you're truly to live.

I'm a grain of sand in a sand-glass
a stray boat among the reefs
a rain drop, a conscious grass blade amongst the grasses
But... I AM!

I'm a spark, a gasp of wind
a trail of light running up to the stars
I'm but a instant, which wishes to outrun time
But... I AM!

I strain my ears, I hear the play
Music's in me and in music am I
Before I'm engulfed in the great silence
I want to sing out and sing..

You must truly live, if you wish to fool time
You must live most beautifully, as you live only once

I'm a grain of sand in a sand-glass
a stray boat among the reefs
a rain drop, a conscious grass blade amongst the grasses
But... I AM!

I AM...

Life's a road and life's s a dream
What will be later - I don't know, and know
Don't question it, you will know when
an ends comes to the road, of life and of dreams

I'm a grain of sand in a sand-glass
a stray boat among the reefs
a rain drop, a conscious grass blase amongst grass
But... I AM!

I'm a spark, a gasp of wind
a trail of light running up to the stars
I'm but a instant, which wishes to outrun time
But... I AM!
The second song is appropriately called 'TAO', and my translation is as follows:
Hold still for a moment and stop the world
To where are you rushing? You'll never make it on time

Yesterday and tomorrow mean nothing at all
Stop rushing and learn how to be

Its the TAO leading you down the simplest of paths
Seek neither good nor evil, and you'll discover more
Than if you do.

Swim with the tide, don't fight against it
Succumb to the water, take a breath - and swim

Be nothing, but a blade of grass, which leans with the wind
Weakness is the strength which guards your world

Its the TAO leading you
Stand still for a moment and stop the world
To where are you rushing? You'll never make it on time

Yesterday and tomorrow mean nothing at all
Stop rushing and learn how to be

Stand still for a moment, and stop the world
To where are you rushing? You'll never make it on time

4 comments:

Suzy said...

thank you for posting the lyrics to two of my favorite songs. :) after 5 years I still haven't learned Polish, so I'm grateful for the translations. feel free to send along the rest! hehe :-p

Anonymous said...

Aloha!
Even though I'm writing from northern Nevada, your photos started my day with a serenity I've only felt in Hawaii. I love Waipio Valley and have friends at Dahana Ranch, just off Old Mamalahoa Highway. I write a series of books called WILD HORSE ISLAND and Crimson Vale, a fictional valley is based on Waipio.
I would love to pass along a link to your photos and blog to my readers, with your permission.
My email is farleyterri@aol.com and my website is Phantomstallion.com. My blog is at TerriFarley.com.
Best,
Terri

Michael said...

Aloha Terri,

It would be my absolute pleasure to be linked to from your website. I'm also fascinated by your career. I love horses, but have heretofore never ridden one. Each time I pass and exchange glances with these noble stallions I feel in the presence of a great consciousness. I would want to take riding lessons soon and get introduced to their world.

Thanks for your note.

All my best,

Terri Farley said...

HI again Michael,
Here's a link to my post.
http://www.terrifarley.com/blogger.html
Thanks so much!
Terri