Monday, August 4, 2008

So much to explore...

There are many gulches carved by the rain water in which life has exploded in its insatiable quest to demonstrate its many manifestations. While yesterday's encounter with the power of fire was profound, today's small peek at the immense power of water is amazing to behold. I did not have my camera today, so this is the best I could do with my phone.



I found a great forest reserve just south of Honakaa which I will need to come back to explore on foot. A trip to Waimea's natural foods market allowed me to get locally grown and roasted Cloud Forest Coffee. Now THAT's the best part of waking up.

There were at least 3 gulches I crossed on my way back from picking up mail in Waimea on my way back to Kurtistown during the sunset. I'm glad I have a jeep. Some of the corners I went around while exploring side roads would have embedded the bottom of a regular car well into the road surface, never to be reclaimed in working order again. Its funny that since buying this 4-cylinder vehicle, with windows that zip up rather than roll up, I find myself going island speed at a brisk 45 mph without evening noticing. The wind blowing past me and the roar of the engine make it seem like I'm blazing down the road with too much noise to hear myself think. Thats a good thing. Its meditative in a way. More people pass me - but thats ok. I was not in a rush to be anywhere this evening.

Today I got a care package from my friend back home, and it made me grin from ear to ear. Even the simple things as home-made CD, some lotion, incense, and exotic tea bags made such a huge difference to my day.

Tomorrow more work, and probably no play ∴ Michael will be a dull boy

Movies...

Ok, so these are the worst Blair-witch-style and unedited home movies you'll ever see. This is a reason I should not be allowed near a cam-corder and a moving vehicle - but it will give you an idea of some of the cool hillside roads that exist on the island. I'd love to mount the camera on the dash :-D





1 comment:

Babbling Brie! said...

Looks like fun. Go do some rock hopping like a little kid! :-)