Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Sacred Falls


Akaka & Kahuna Falls State Park...



I was greeted by the guardian of this place, a spirit who's ancestral family name is that of the falls. She was at the top of the path - dressed in green, with black gray hair, and a large green and yellow umbrella - a nymph in the colors of the forest.

She was selling her husband's wood block prints and before I had a chance to protest given I had no cash on me, she weaved me a story of each print - some of which were quite amusing (such as "You Goose Fukha My Goose na Roof!" - an argument he had witnessed) - and all very beautiful. I intend to buy a couple of them - at $20-30 a print, the price is right. They show stories of the land, plants, of people dancing, merriment and music making - all with a stunning simplicity and artistic elegance.

She mentioned that this land was very sacred - something which I very much felt when I practiced a little Qi Gong at the falls. The elemental Qi in this place is strong.

We talked about the ancient sorcerers - the Kahuna - Keepers of the Secret after which the falls were named. Many lived in this area at the base of these falls and practiced their sacred ways.

She gave me her business card and told me that what I was studying in Waimea was very good and much needed. With that blessing, an exchange of Aloha, and an invitation for her to visit me at the clinic, I left.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

I can't believe it...the shortest post ever! You have your entire evening ahead of you now. hehe

-s