Friday, August 8, 2008

Onomea Bay


I drove along the 4 mile scenic road to Onomea Bay. After parking on the side of the road and hiking down what used to be a service road, I found myself feeling lighter - no, it wasn't the exercise, it was the swarms of bugs slowly eating me alive. Till today I had neglected to get bug repellant, and decided that this evening I'd put an end to their feasting frenzy.


On my way back from my walk, I passed a 60 year old surfer, with a face as wrinkled as well salted & cured jerky, his long curly black wiry hair bleached by the sea sitting in his truck. His white truck which was covered in stickers, emitting island jives, and was smoking. His well-weathered face and wild eyes were probably due to a thyroid problem which was no doubt the reason his doctor prescribed him his medicinal bag of weed which he was mater-of-factly smoking in his car. According the guide books, Pahoa is the part of the island most populated by guerrilla gardeners who among less controversial pursuits also frequently farm this particular sacrament.



After passing him and getting the silly grin of the recently enlightened, I left to drive further down the road to What's Shakin' - a smoothie bar that uses frozen fruit instead of ice as the base, thus giving it a thick and creamy texture. They have a Coffee, Banana, and Chocolate one I'm pining to try.

After my Papaya Paradise, it started raining. I headed back to town to find a natural food store which sold bug repellant. I bought two brands of DEET-free all natural spiritually-elitist bug repellant. I passed on the third brand which advertised scent of the forest yet smelt like rotten juicer shavings. If neither of these two stave off the vapiric hordes of Satan, I'll have to go back to something more heavy duty.

I've not decided what to do tomorrow. I may visit one of the botanical gardens in the morning, drive Old Mamalahoa highway from Honoka'a to Waimea, and then take Mana road back to Hilo. If the weather holds, this'll be the first time Jake will be given a real workout.
vampire stalks pray
frog and gecko jump branches
eater is eaten


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Onomea trail was my absolute favorite when i visited. We were driving back from Hilo and the view was so amazing I yelled to my Dad to stop. We hadn't even known about it, but we found that service road and it was the highlight of my trip as well.

Corinne